A clear glass pharmacy bottle (a) with stopper (b); the bottle has a glass covered label on the front, and a paper label on the back.
Number Of Parts
a - bottle - Size: Length 16.0 cm x Diam. 5.9 cm
b - stopper - Size: Length 5.3 cm x Diam. 3.6 cm
Found in a cabinet in the donors' basement after they bought the house from John Briscoe of Briscoe's pharmacy which was located at 229 Princess Street in Kingston from 1954 to 1966; it is likely that Briscoe acquired the collection during his career as a pharmacists; This bottle was used to hold tintura senegae.
"Tr. SENEGAE" printed on a label on the front; "CLIFFORD SINE // CITY // DRUG STORE // DRUGGIST // GANANOQUE. ONT." printed on a label on the back of the bottle; 77,S - 8 oz // 25¢ oz" printed on the rear label in pencil; "W T & CO // A" embossed on the base
Storage Room 0010
The ink on the label beneath the glass has run a little bit.
"Elements of Pharmacy, Materia Medica and Therapeutics," Third Edition, by William Whitla, MD, Henry Renshaw, London, Eng. 1885; Kingston City Directories; Internet: "Determining the Age of Medicine Bottles: Dating your Medicine Bottles," Digger Odell Publications, 2004; "Identification and Price Guide, First Edition," by Michael Polak, Avon Books, New York, 1994; CD #3
John Briscoe took over Bishop's Drugs Ltd in 1954; Bishop owned another store at 528 Princess Street from 1946 to 1954 and it had been a drug store under other ownership from 1923 until 1946; this is a possible origin of some of the collection.