A clear glass pharmacy bottle (a) with stopper (b); the bottle has a glass covered label on the front and a paper label on the back.
Number Of Parts
a - bottle - Size: Length 11.4 cm x Diam. 4.8 cm
b - stopper - Size: Length 3.2 cm x Diam. 3.2 cm
Found in a cabinet in the donors' basement after they bought the house from John Briscoe of Briscoe's pharmacy which was located at 229 Princess Street in Kingston from 1954 to 1966; it is likely that Briscoe acquired the collection during his career as a pharmacists; This bottle was used to hold pulveris acaciae.
"P.GLYCYRRH." printed on a label on the front; "W T & CO // A" embossed on the base; CLIFFORD SINE // CITY // DRUG STORE // DRUGGIST // GANANOQUE, ONT." printed on the label on the back; there are indecipherable handwritten numbers and letters on the paper label
Storage Room 0010
The paper label has come off.
"Elements of Pharmacy, Materia Medica and Therapeutics," Third Edition, by William Whitla, MD, Henry Renshaw, London, Eng. 1885; Kingston City Directories; Internet: "Determining the Age of Medicine Bottles: Dating your Medicine Bottles," Digger Odell Publications, 2004; "Identification and Price Guide, First Edition," by Michael Polak, Avon Books, New York, 1994
John Briscoe took over Bishop's Drugs Ltd in 1954; Bishop owned another store at 528 Princess Street from 1946 to 1954 and it had been a drug store under other ownership from 1923 until 1946; this is a possible origin of some of the collection.