One piece turned ebony monaural stethoscope is a hollow tapered ear piece.
Number Of Parts
Donated by Dean Barry Smith, Faculty of Medicine, Queen's University.
Bases on usae of this type of stethoscope
Storage Room 0010
Length 15.5 cm x Diam 2.4 cm
Antique Med Web-site: Monaural Stethoscopes; CD #6
Charles J. B. Williams developed the two-piece monaural stethoscope in 1843 with a trumpet shaped chest end that fit more comfortably against the chest wall, with a removable ear piece. Became the standard design. The two pieces were used in different holes for the examination of the chest or the heart. Also sensitive enough for hearing a fetus in the womb.
On display The Friend - Vandewater Gallery in Botterell Hall; removed January 27, 2010