Circular copper metal surgical dressing spool rod (a) with tan paper cylinder (b).
Number Of Parts
a - rod
b - paper cylinder
Acquired from the Academy of Medicine; source: owned and used by Dr. James (Jim) Robert Ronald McCrindle (1862-1952); he probably acquired it in the United Kingdom and brought it to Jamaica in 1904; donated by his granddaughter, Mrs. C. C. James of Kingston, Ontario.
Dr. McCrindle was born in Kingston, Jamaica, in 1862 but moved to Scotland in 1882 where he graduated with his degree in general medicine and surgery from the University of Glasgow in 1885; he returned to Jamaica in 1904; the cabinet was brought to Canada by his granddaughter, the donor, in 1975.
This medicine cabinet holds numerous tins for plaster bandages and glass pharmacy bottles handblown to fit the compartments and is a part of the McCrindle Collection 1989.10 and 005009.
'Ferris & Co. established 1770 Bristol England Wholesale and export Druggists manufacturing Chemists makers of surgical instruments and hospital appliances every requisite for the Surgery, Dispensary and Hospital. Merchants, Shippers, and Importers'; from 1887 advertisement. This company used various trade names and the trade name of Ferris & Co. began in 1883. In 1820 was the first time Ferris was included in the trade name, as 'Fry Gibbs & Ferris' on Union Street in Bristol.
On exhibit: "When Medicine Met Science" - 21 Oct. 2008