Printed on label: "CAVIDENT // Special Compound // For use with the // CAVITRON // ULTRASONIC DENTAL UNIT // CAVITRON EQUIPMENT CORPORATION // LONG ISLAND CITY, N.Y."; printed on side of container: "DIRECTIONS // Initial charge - add one // pound of CAVIDENT (1/4 can) // to container three-quarters // filled with water. Check // concentration with plastic // Cavident Concentration // Checker. Add CAVIDENT // as needed. // Refill charge - fill container // with water to 3/4 level. Then // add small quantities of // CAVIDENT to bring concen- // tration up to required level // on Cavident Concentration // Checker. // NET WEIGHT 4 LBS."
Storage Room 0010
Unit Of Measure
Paper labels shows wear, abraded with minor surface fading; metal on one end shows aging
Dr. George H. Stewart
Originally purchased by Dr. George H. Stewart from Thornbury, Ontario, who used it in the late 1950s onwards; it was purchased in 1957 for $1,800 and was well-received by his patients, as there was much less vibration than with the slower drills of the time; it cut only solid tooth, so decay was removed with excavators or burs. Dr. Stewart states that he was one of the few dentists who used this unit in a variety of ways, including in periodontal scaling, root canal filing, cavity preparation and amalgam condensation; the Cavitron system worked, in effect, as a rapid erosion process on teeth; Cavident, a cutting medium made up of specially graded aluminum oxide particles, was mixed with water and air in the unit, then applied between the tool and the surface of the tooth to create a precise, clean cut; the unit also had a water supply to cool the handpiece and to provide rinsing water.
Dr Ralph and Mrs Olga Crawford donated their extensive Canadian dental collection to the DCF to create the museum in 1997; further donations were received while Dr Crawford was Curator Emeritus at the Dental Canada Museum until its closure in 2008.