Monochrome sepiatone large photograph of ten nurses in the nursing uniform of Kingston General Hospital circa 1900 printed on thick cardstock; head nurse in the center is dressed in a dark coloured nursing uniform with a white cap, collar and cuffs and rimless spectacles on a thin gold chain pinned…
Monochrome sepiatone large photograph of ten nurses in the nursing uniform of Kingston General Hospital circa 1900 printed on thick cardstock; head nurse in the center is dressed in a dark coloured nursing uniform with a white cap, collar and cuffs and rimless spectacles on a thin gold chain pinned to the right side, and an enameld class pin for the Toronto General Hospital at the collar; surrounding the head nurse are nine other nurses in training; two of them are sitting in the front and at a lower level than the head nurse, two others are also sitting, but at the height of the head nurse, two nurses are standing at the second row from the back and behind them are three more nurses standing above all the others; the nurses in training are wearing white nursing uniforms with white caps and red sleeves plus a red fabric cross on white cotton puffy short sleeves on their right sleeves; written on the back of the photograph is information on the original owner of the photograph and the donor.
Number Of Parts
Originally belonged to the donor's great-aunt, Harriet Peck, who is a graduate from the Kingston General Hospital School of Nursing, Class of 1900.
On the back: "Standing second from left (left of Head Nurse // with Toronto General Hospital Pin) is // Harriet (Hattie) Corinthia Peck great aunt // of Carole Anne (Bontee) Bleeker graduate of // Toronto General Hospital 1959"
Storage Room 2005
Unit Of Measure
Length 25.6 cm X Width 31.0 cm X Depth 0.1 cm
Kingston Health Sciences Centre website, "KGH School of Nursing," (https://kingstonhsc.ca/kgh-school-nursing)
There were thirteen graduates for the Class of 1900 Kingston General Hospital School of Nursing.
The first official graduating class of the Kingston General Hospital School of Nursing was in 1888; the school was created in order to educate nurses as the demand for them increased, as well as providing a labour force to the hospital. When the first nurses graduated, they were given a certificate of completion, twenty five dollars, and a nursing medal. Over the years, nurses were sometimes given pins and/or rings or other memorabilia to commemorate their graduation from the school.